Tuesday, April 04, 2006

King Kong? Nope?

And this review explains why. Never found the King Kong story all that interesting. Getting pickier about which movies I spend money on. It's over three hours long. And...Peter Jackson. Enjoyed 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. Loved 'The Two Towers'. And was disappointed by 'Return of the King'. Lileks sums it up for me:

I still like the LOTR movies, except for the last 16 hours of the third one; for heaven’s sake, I was ready to kick Frodo into the fire and stick the ring on Gollum’s slimy finger just to be done with it, and if I’d know there would be hobbits jumping-and-hugging-in-bed afterwards, and that the movie still wouldn’t be over for another fortnight, I would have ordered up a jeraboam of Visine for Sauron, the better for his baleful eye to find the hairy-footed little imps and turn them into cinders.

It was a movie that wouldn't end. Some movies are desperate for an editor and this was one of them. Which movies? Here's a hint, new directors usually don't make overly long movies. Someone is willing to tell them it's too long. Shame it doesn't happen more often.
Don't get me wrong, long movies can still be ok. You just have to have lots of story to tell. Gone With The Wind is almost four hours long, but it works. It also had an intermission. Maybe not a bad tradition to bring back, no?

No comments: