Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oscar Nominees

The 2005 Best Picture noms were announced today. You can read the list here. Frankly, it's a kind of a dreary list. Same as last year, I haven't seen any of them before so I can't comment on the quality of any of them.
Frequent commenter, Carrie, recently saw 'Brokeback Mountain' and review it here. She liked it. Thought it was powerful. It's the nominee that I'm most likely to see but I'm a bit leery. I thought that 'The Crying Game' benefited because critcs were afraid to not like it. Afraid that they would be seen as anti-gay. The same danger obviously exists here. That's why I've waited for the recommendation of someone I know before seeing it.
The others? I might see 'Munich'. Speilberg is one of the best directors around (even if 'War of the Worlds' left was less than thrilling). And the arguments about the movie's message are interesting. I'll probably see 'Crash'. It got great praise from my cousin-in-law.
'Capote' and 'Good Night, Good Luck' hold little interest for me. Maybe ten years from now I'll do the 00's and cover them. I enjoy watching the Oscar's every year, but I'm probably less excited about this year's show than any other that I can remember.

2 comments:

carrster said...

I agree that the noms are "dreary" that's a good word for it. And while I "liked" BBM I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I saw CRASH last weekend and like it less the more it sits in my brain. A bit heavy-handed but I definitely could appreciate the craft. (god that sounds pretentious...)...

I think both BBM & Crash are benefitting from being the "right" movie to like because of controversial themes. I dunno - I'm not all that thrilled either. I say that and yet I'll sit there for 3+ hours glued to the tube like I do every year. *sigh*

j said...

I actually thought Crash was good - a lot like Magnolia, but interesting and not as good of a score.

BTW - I've linked you on my blog. Yes, that's new. Feel free to check it out Peder.