Tuesday, December 01, 2009

2000 Retro-Not-the-Oscar

One of my beliefs in regard to the quality of movies is that it takes some time to really tell what was good and what wasn't. Some movies give a quick 'wow' but they don't age well. Others bug you on the first viewing, but keep gnawing at you to rewatch.
Ten years should be enough time to really have the handle on a year's worth of films. With your help, I'm going to try and figure out what movie was the best of the year 2000. Here is what I want, please nominate some of the best movies from that year. I'm aiming to create a list of ten dramas and five comedies.
Please leave a comment with up to five contenders. I'll compile a list and we'll narrow it down to the finalists so we can start reviewing in January. The list will be open so you can watch along. The more nominations the better so don't be shy!
I'm going to put a few rules in place to keep it from being crazy. The movie must be out on DVD. I'm hoping that won't be too large of a penalty. And I ask the jokesters (Hans) to give some serious answers along with the jokes.
Don't remember what came out then? No problem! Wikipedia has a list here. A list of the movies that actually won Oscars is here.

I'll post some reminders later in the month. Remember, I need your nominations to make this work!

9 comments:

carrster said...

I'll bite:

My favs of that year are

MEMENTO

ALMOST FAMOUS

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

HIGH FIDELITY

&

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

It is fun to look back - I can't believe that was TEN years ago (almost) already! EEEEEK!

Peder said...

I should put in my own votes as well:

CAST AWAY
HIGH FIDELITY
YI YI
O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?
GLADIATOR

(I like the caps, Carrie, can you tell?)

DD4 said...

Here are my favorites from 2000:

"Cast Away"
* "Chocolat"
"Finding Forrester"
* "Return to Me"

* I watch these every year.

Jennifer Miller said...

Cheesy or not, Charlie's Angels...LOVED that movie..in fact, still love that movie. And every one of it's sequels. And looking forward to the new one. :)

Jennifer Miller said...

Oh. And X-men...for the big geek within.

Hans said...

I think that the movies I rewatch are the ones that, obviously, have the most lasting impression. Therefore:
Gladiator
Best in Show
Snatch
High Fidelity
Cast Away
Momento sure was good, too.
Funny, I liked Erin Brockovich when it came out, but now that I know that it was largely fiction and that I've seen what Erin herself has tried to do while recreating her fame (in Tennessee for instance), I now put that movie in the same file as Battlefield Earth and Dude, Where's my car.

Test said...

If you aren't already aware, movie watching isn't my thing. But here goes, no judgements please. And I am basing this somewhat on what I do watch over and over and what I would like to watch again.

Cast Away
X Men (was addicted to the comics WELL before the franchise became a movie making machine)
Almost Famous
High Fidelity

Peder said...

Don't worry, Holly, no one will judge you. Your choices certainly seem fine.

Sarita said...

Having a vested interest in this project, I imagine I will be invited to participate in the actual watching of the movies, I went down the list and picked ones I am confident I woul denjoy seeing again:
Bring it on -My guilty pleasure
Charlie's Angles
Crouching Tiger (the hidden dragon part sucks)
High Fidelity
Oh Brother

I agree that this was almost 10 years ago is shocking