Monday, February 28, 2005

Further Oscar thoughts

Sean Penn needs a humor transplant. Even if he wanted to defend Jude Law, there must have been a way to do so with a lighter touch.
Martin Scorsese shut out again. He's got to win Best Director at some point doesn't he?
As a way of selling tickets, this Oscar cast was quite good. I really really really want to see 'Million Dollar Baby', the 'Aviator' and 'Finding Neverland' now.
Discussion with my brother about how right-leaning films are snubbed at the Oscars. The Best Picture noms weren't really left-leaning. Even MDB's controversial bit with assisted suicide is more libertarian than right/left. The big argument on his side is the snubbing of 'Passion of the Christ'. If ten years from now, 'Sideways' is remembered over 'Passion', I'll be stunned. I realized during the awards that it would even have been eligible for Foreign Language film.
I enjoyed the show, but it could have been better. Chris Rock has virtually no chance of being invited back next year and that can only be for the better. My suggestion for host? Bonnie Hunt.

No comments: