Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Geography Puzzles

I got a strange request at work last week. Skyteam (the lovely people that sent me to Paris), is doing something in connection to the upcoming Olympics. They wanted to set up a 'torch route' using their alliances flights. Basically, they wanted to connect several past Olympic game sites using each of their 11 carriers.
At first I thought they wanted to connect all of the past games. I got Excel and made lists of past cities. Then I made lists of Skyteam destinations. Then I started connecting dots. Do you know how tough it is to get air service to find air service to Cortina d'Ampezzo (host of the 1956 winter games)? Not so easy.
Then I talked with some people at work today and figured out that they really just wanted 11 different flights, each one using a different carrier and highlighting a different hub/Olympic city. Much easier! Seriously, after all the ground work that I did last night that took me about 20 minutes.
I wish I got requests like this more often. This is the type of work I'd love to do everyday. Geography puzzles, I am some kind of geek!

No comments: