Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Night Owls

Last night I finished work and came down about 145a. I was bleary and ready to climb into bed but my brain said something looked wrong in our darkened upper hallway. I stopped, looked around and noticed that Relia's door was open. She sometimes likes it open so this isn't necessarily a big deal. So I peeked in. Not in bed.
I then crept quietly into our bedroom and carefully felt my side of the bed. Nope, no one there. Curiouser and curiouser. Went downstairs thinking maybe she crept down to the couch. Nope. Not on the couch.
Instead she was at my desk on the computer. I asked her how long she'd been down and she said, 'not long'. I shook my head and told her that she simply had to go to bed. She told me she wasn't tired. Great. Nearly two in the morning and she's wide awake.
This called for evasive maneuvers. I told her that we'd have a little treat. Then I made her be very quiet, turned off the alarm and we went out on the front step to look at the stars. She's been very curious about them ever since she got an astronomy book but she is almost never up late enough to actually see them.
It was a very sweet moment. She was amazed that the brightest one out there was blue. She told me that means it's a very hot star. Isn't it amazing the things they pick up? She delighted that one of the stars was twinkling, just like the song. I told her to make a wish on it and she did.
Then the skeeters got too bad and I brought us in. Took her upstairs and read a book to her, rubbed her back for a moment and told her goodnight. Crept quietly into bed and prepared to go to sleep.
Experienced parents know what's next. Ten minutes later she was back up. I took her back in and this time left the light on so she could 'read' herself to sleep. Then I forced myself to stay up for about ten minutes to make sure she didn't get back up. Finally I drifted off.

The rest of the night is kind of a fog. I think the FP Gal was up with her about 330a. I vaguely remember her telling me that she found Relia in the bathroom standing in the sink but that can't have been real, can't it? There were dreams where I was half awake and tensing for Relia to come out of her room. All in all, the sleeping sucked.
Dear children, dear, dear children. Please, for the love of all that is holy and good, sleep your normal hours tonight. Thank you.


3 comments:

DD4 said...

This whole story sounds bizarre! I wonder why she is not tired and sleepy at night. Perhaps you need a tread mill for her to walk a mile or two after dinner.

Sarita said...

Oh, it was real alright.

carrster said...

Oh KIDS - what is with them?! *sigh* the stars moment was very sweet indeed. The getting up again (& again) not so much...