Saturday, February 04, 2012

"Never Let Go" A defense of Titanic

Last weekend while we were at the movie we saw the trailer for the upcoming 3D update of 'Titanic' (of which I'll say more in a bit). As the trailer flashed through familiar scenes it showed Kate Winslet telling Leo Di Caprio that she'll never let go. Some woman sitting further back in the theater hissed "liar!". This post is for her.

I liked the movie 'Titanic' but a lot of people didn't. That's fine, to everyone their own opinion. The movie was as popular as can be and that brings about its own backlash. Haters gotta hate, right? The criticisms are many but the one that drives me crazy is when some snide someone sneers about the 'never let go' moment. It's usually something along the lines of pointing out that Winslet said she wouldn't let go but she did, the coward! The problem is that the snide people simply weren't listening.
After the boat sinks and the lovers find some flotsam, Leo tells Kate not to start saying her goodbyes. He assures her that there will be a rescue. And then this dialogue takes place:

Jack: You must do this honor. You most promise me that you'll survive. And that you won't give up no matter what happens. No matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose. And never let go of that promise.
Rose: I promise.
Jack: Never let go.
Rose: Never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.


He makes her promise to survive and continue on. Which she does of course. When the boats come back she discovers that he has died. She remembers her promise and finds a way to live. In order to do this she must let go of his hand and then he sinks. In other words lives up to a verbal promise to not let go by physically doing so.
I think there is a literary term for that.
Of course the oh so wise, sneery people couldn't be bothered to pay attention to a little bit of dialogue. Shame that. Makes me wonder what else they've been missing.

Ok, back to the trailer. 'Titanic' came out when I was living by myself in Colorado. I had no TV and no friends outside of people from work. It blew me away and I saw it six times in the theater. Yes, I was one of the people that made it a box office phenomenon.
The FP Gal never saw it on the big screen. With it making a return, I'd love to fix that problem. But the timing could simply not be worse. The movie comes out again right about the time that the Oncoming Baby is due. Even if we tried to see it before baby comes there is no way that she could possibly sit through a three hour movie right now. And it will be very tough to find time for it right after baby has arrived. In short, the only way we'll actually be able to get out and do so is if 'Titanic' stays in theaters for a couple of months. And what are the odds of that happening?

No comments: