Sunday, September 10, 2006

Random Sunday thoughts

Need to post something this weekend...
  • This July's relentlessly hot weather was awful. The last few days have been cool and cloudy. And I've loved it. I'm sure we'll have Indian summer in a few weeks and it'll be lovely too. I'm hoping for a mild fall.
  • Taking advantage of the cool weekend, I made some soup today. Some Cheddar-Potato mix. Add cubed ham. And a can of peas. Very yummy. The FP Gal thinks this is apple crisp weather. I'm not going to argue against that.
  • As I write this, the White Sox are 1 1/2 games out of a playoff spot with three weeks to play. One of the guys at work asked me if this was driving me crazy. It really isn't. I think I'm still coasting on the elation of last year. Not that I don't want them to win it all again but I'm not really worried. My boys are world champs for another six weeks minimum.
  • (Ok, now the football stuff.) Did you know that Payton and Eli Manning are brothers? No, they really are.
  • Week One is a strange beast. You never know how good teams are going into it. When the dust settles, you still don't know if one team is very good or the other team is very bad. I figure you really have a feel for the true quality after week three.
  • I always look at the first week of the football season as premiere day for the newest commercials. Even more so than the Superbowl. Today's best? Hummer has a commercial that shows a group of guys escaping from work. The music is from 'The Great Escape'. They have elaborate plans and they have to leave one of their own behind. I feel that way at least once a week in the office.
  • No seriously, they're brothers. And I guess their Dad played football too. And get this, all three are quarterbacks. Speaking of which, one of my latest favorite sites is this one. It features lots of interesting football history and statistical tinkerings. This last week has been about the best and worst QB's of all time. Fran Tarkenton fares well.
  • Ozzie's favorite team? The Cincinnati Bengals, of course. I wish I could explain to him how much easier his life will be if he roots for the hometown team. I wonder if my folks feel the same way...
  • For those keeping score, Roxane always cheered for the Detroit Lions. Something about silver cats. Calypso just hopes for a clean competitive defensive game with very little yelling. Sana prefers golf.
  • The Vikes start the season tomorrow!

1 comment:

DD4 said...

Yes, it probably would be easier if you were a Minnesota Twins fan.