Saturday, April 09, 2005

And now the story

A couple of months ago, the thought had crossed my mind that the FP Gal and I should get hitched. These were relatively new thoughts and I wanted to take some time to get the taste of them. And they tasted pretty good. But how do you get the details right?
Questions to the ladies at work of how their husbands and fiances handled picking out a ring proved fruitless. "If you wanted a ring, what kind of ring might you want?", lacks the smoothness that I was after. So I broke cover and talked with a friend about what I was thinking and how to go about the proposal. The best idea we came up with was to give her something in place of an engagment ring with the idea of getting that later. Instead of an expensive ring, she'd get a toy ring for the time being. A co-worker helped with the ring box. Those two were the only ones that I'd told.
So...on Sunday after a grueling day at the beach, we'd retired to the hotel room to rest. As she slept, I got the box and the ring out of my stuff and placed it on table. Eventually she woke up. And eventually she noticed the table.
"What's this?"
"That's for you."
"What is it?" Opening it.
Down on one knee. "Will you marry me?"
"Seriously?"
"Yes."
"Yes!"

And there you have it. Getting the word out was tough because internet access was very slow and my phone didn't really work. The rest of the vacation was very nice if decadent. Ixtapa is beautiful and friendly. And relaxing.
The only other real adventure was snorkeling (my first time). Took some practice but it was totally worth it. The only fish we saw that I could identify was a baracuda. Wheee!

It's good to be back.

1 comment:

carrster said...

Congratulations! That is a great story. She looks soooo happy. I'll be looking forward to more details as they happen! Yay!!! Please pass on my congrats to FP Gal too. :-)