Sunday, May 08, 2005

General notes

As you can see from the following posts, the movie reviews are still coming. I'm now caught up with putting the durn things onto the blog. If I can keep from leaving the country for awhile, I should be able to stay caught up.
Yesterday was the Kentucky Derby, the most exciting three minutes in sport. Last year I made the FP Fiance watch it with me and pick a horse to root for. She picked the right one. This year we tried it again and again she picked the right one. A 50-1 longshot and it rode home. Next year I'm taking her out to Canterbury for the race.
I'm afraid to mention my Sox as my last mention sent them into a three game losing streak. But...their 24-7 record bears mentioning. The pitching has been nothing short of amazing and the offense needs work. Each game, they seem to do just enough to win. The most amazing thing about this beginning for me is that they've had a lead at some point in all 31 games so far. (On a personal note, they're 6-1 when I'm out of the country. Attn White Sox Mgmt: I'm open to an international move. Get in touch and I'll provide a list of the countries I'd be willing to move to.)
Been meaning to mention a book that I read recently and greatly enjoyed 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson. The book is set in the near future and involves a sword wielding, code writing pizza delivery man. It reminded me in many ways of the writing of Tim Powers who I wrote about here. The conclusions about ancient languages are interesting (if not very believable). A real page-turner.

No comments: