Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Mike Cameron

is the Mets center fielder. Earlier this season he suffered a truly horrific outfield collision. Cameron suffered extensive fractures to the cheekbones and nose. Surgery followed and titanium plates (permanent, I'm sure). This is the story of him dropping in on his teamates.
I noticed this for two reasons. He used to patrol the outfield for my beloved White Sox. Never a superstar, he seemed to get by on hard work. Especially defense. Modern sports seems to demand that you hate players that are no longer on your team. For instance, AJ Pierznyski gets booed at the Metrodome for the terrible sin of having been traded away to the Giants. But I've never felt that way about Cameron. Always glad to see him gliding around in New York.
The other reason is that I've been in almost the exact same spot that he's in now. He's not kidding that having your jaw wired shut is the best diet out there. And I can completely sympathize with his plans for pizza. For about two weeks, I dreamt about cheeseburgers!
Good luck to you Mike.

No comments: