Saturday, November 03, 2012

Nano Novel Excerpt


I decided to go ahead and try and fit NaNoWriMo in again this year. Don't know if I'll make it through but I've had a good start. Here is the very beginning of this years story.

Author's note: this whole story idea came about when I suddenly wondered if you could steal a passenger jet.  I mean, people steal cars all the time, right?  But the big stuff is much harder.  First of all, it's harder to get control of the really big stuff.  Secondly, it's much, much harder to hide it when the rightful owners come to repossess it.  Imagine if you will, trying to steal a cruise liner.  Ok, you've done it.  Now where do you hide such a thing?  So.  To steal a big plane.  A jumbo jet.  Could you even do such a thing?  My initial thought was that it really can't be done.  And if history is any guide, it can't.  I mean, have you ever heard of someone jumping the fence at an airport, hotwiring a 747 and going for a joyride?  But after some careful thought, I came up with no fewer than six different ways to do it.  Six.  That means that you could steal one for each day of the week and still rest on Sunday.  (Although, in fairness, you would need that rest.  It  would be one very busy week.)  And then I got kind of frightened to write about it.  My job depends on people being able to book flights and fly them hither and yon.  If I inspired some thrill case to start ripping off airlines, it would be problematic, to say the least.  So I went the fictional route.  Big note, lawyers take especial notice: Everything that follows is a completely fictional event, not based on real people or actual things that have happened.  In fact, it couldn't happen.  I've taken major liberties with all details.  There may not be such a thing as a 'jumbo jet'.  For God's sake people, don't try this at home!  Especially if you happen to live at a major airport.

No comments: