Sunday, March 27, 2005

Grandma's 80th Birthday/Aunt & Uncle's 40th Anniversary

Yesterday, the FP Gal and I went down to Austin to celebrate some family events. We went to a combination 80th birthday/40th anniversary party. There was a very good turnout and we got to see large sections of my Dad's side of the family. And my hundreds of cousins once removed (or maybe second cousins, I get them confused). It was lots of fun.
Some of the highlights (from my personal vantage point): Every year we give my Grandma a gag gift. We usually find the ugliest last minute animal or toy. My favorite was a remote controlled snake. Another good one was a pinata and hockey stick to break it open with. This year was a stuffed animal tarantula puppet. She loved it.
We also discussed a new reality show called Adventures of a Narcoleptic Grandmother. Every week we'd drug Grandma's coffee and she'd wake up in a new location. She'd have to figure out where she was and how to get home. Hilarty would ensue.
Another highlight was being able to spend some time with my aunt and cousins from California. I didn't really get to know them growing up so it was wonderful to see them now. My cousins are both incredibly nice and have the family sense of humor.
We came home with standing invitations to Kansas City to spend time with one set of cousins, Cincinnati for a different set and northern and southern California for family out there. We're not a very centralised family and that's one of the things that makes these gatherings special.

1 comment:

carrster said...

Sounds great! I love family get togethers. In fact, we're heading down to Austin in 2 weeks for my Grandma's 80th b-day parth/Riedesel Family Reunion. Should be fun.