Monday, June 06, 2005

Lack of posts

Apologies for that. I blame this. And a trip to Iowa where I saw this. But I'm still here and I still have things to say:

One of the reasons for starting this blog was to talk baseball and I haven't really done much of it. The reason is simple: superstition. The last couple of times I've written about my Sox they've gone on losing streaks and that was worrisome. For some reason sports brings out that out in people. Spoke to a friend of mine who happened upon the 1998 NFC Championship game while she was living down in Texas. Extremely casual football fan, she kept watching and got drawn in. As the game progressed, she had to keep changing clothes while trying to find the right ones to keep the Vikings lucky. She's a normally sane person. Really. And this isn't uncommon amongst sports fan.
But I've decided to overcome that write anyway. Expect more baseball related stuff. And football as that gets closer. The FP Fiance has decreed that I can't get caught up in Viking stuff until at least August. Which is sensible. But hard.
Early June finds my Sox with the majors best record. Not just their divisions best. Not just the AL's best. The best record in the whole shebang. Which means nothing at this point. They must step the pace back up if they want to maintain the lead they have. The Twins have kept pace and gained some ground back over the last three weeks. Let's look back at my predictions.
1) The blah performance of the Yankees has been the bigger story than any rivalry. Could turn around, but I've been wrong so far.
2) Santana and Nathan have fallen back a bit from last year, but the rest of the starting staff has stepped up. The Indians have decidely not taken that next step. Must be awful to be a Tribe fan this year.
3) The White Sox pitching has been phenomenal (less so lately). The health of the pitching still concerns me. Nothing concrete, just past expierience.
4) The A's have been horrible so far. But I'm not willing to write them off just yet. I've seen then comeback too many times before.
5) The Nat's are currently leading their division. We'll see how the rest plays out.
6) The Cubs are currently 5 games over .500. Both Prior and Woods have had injuries. And yes, they've had more attention than they deserve.
7) Waiting on this. Now I'm wondering if Bonds will play at all. Ever. And for the record, yes I think he knowingly took steroids. And I think that will always taint his stats. Fifty years from now, he'll be dismissed by baseball historians as a chemically enhanced cheat. And that's really a deep, deep shame, because he has been amongst the best in baseball most of his career. If he'd simply stayed natural and faded (as is usual) he'd still have been a lock for the hall of fame.
8) They might be wondering, but not really that often. The homeruns have been lessened for my Sox. The one from Thomas yesterday was a beaut, though.

1 comment:

carrster said...

You are such a dork. I love that!!