Thursday, October 27, 2005

Day after thoughts

It hits me out of the blue at different times today: World Champion White Sox. Driving down the street and it hits me again. Sitting at work and there it is again. And this grin is pretty firmly in place. Nineteen years is a long time, but it was very much worth it.
Spent the last few innings of the game last night pacing back and forth and throwing off waves of tension. The FP Gal won't miss that one little bit, I can tell you. The cats either. They'd get settled into place and I'd start yelling. Everyone in the house (and maybe the neighbors) are glad this is done.
The White Sox run last night was in typical manufactured fashion. A single. A bunt attempt (failed). Moving the runner over on a groundout. And a seeing-eye single up the middle to score him. The Sox relief pitching was also (sadly) typical. Lots of opponents on base. Kept there only by superior defense. Uribe's two defensive plays in the ninth last night were both amazing. Diving into the fans behind third base to catch a pop-up. And going to the second base side of the mound to get a slow roller and get the runner at first. Typical top-notch defense.
When the out was called, I didn't know how to react. A high pitched yell and then some jumping around finally happened. Then the FP Gal shared my happiness with a kiss. My sister called immeadiatly and we shared a quick few minutes. Then a glass of brandy. And for the first time in my life I kind of wanted a cigar. (Good thing I hadn't thought of that earlier in the day when I could have gotten one.)
I watched some of the celebration in Chicago but I felt strangely detached. Loving a team from far away has it's downsides. Long distance relationships are never easy. Everyone at work was pulling for the Sox because they know how much I love them. Living in 'Twin's Territory' that meant alot to me. Everyone was very happy for me.
How do I feel right now? This might be a slight case of euphoria. Ask me in a few weeks and I might have a handle on it. Oh and I ordered this one.

1 comment:

carrster said...

nice! I'm very happy for you... :)