Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl

One of the most interesting things about today's Super Bowl is how they did in the Championship games. It's unusual for both teams to blow out their opponents going into the big game. You've got to wonder how much of that carries over. Especially with this horrible horrible bye week killing any momentum. And not just for the teams. This week off is tough on fans too. Big football fans try to go into a coma to keep from burning out before the actual game. And let's just say that any week that can be termed as 'media week' is automatically awful.
That said, I'd like to put something in pixels that I can point to after the game. The Steelers are favored by four points. Most estimates of the crowd in Detroit give a decided homecrowd edge to Pittsburgh. The Steelers faced the much tougher run in the playoffs and played very well. If I was putting money on this game I'd put it on them.
But...the last few years have seen an amazing run of long suffering fans finally win their sports big games. My first trip to Seattle was back in 2000. The trip included the first week of football and I was stunned to see Seahawk fans. I'd just never thought of them before. But they do exist and they've waited a long time for this. They've also dominated their opponents in the playoffs. (And I love Washington state.)
I'll go with 35-17 Seahawks.

No comments: