Monday, December 11, 2006

Geography quiz

A few nights ago the FP Gal and I were watching some quiz show and the contestant didn't know what city is known as the Gateway City. I was surprised by that as I thought everyone knew that type of thing. Who doesn't know what city is the 'City of Light'? Or the 'Eternal City'? Or even the 'Marvelous City'?
So I thought I'd put together a little quiz for those who wish to play. Each day this week I'll put up a list of ten states and their biggest city. In a different post I'll leave the answer in a comment. In some cases I skipped a more well known nickname for a more interesting one. And two of them are so lame that they don't even have nicknames. But it might be fun anway.
For the record, I only knew 14 of these before I researched it. And I would have guessed the wrong largest city in at least a dozen. So this involved learning for me too.

2 comments:

j said...

I was kind of enjoying that show. It took me a moment to remember what the gateway city was too. But, I knew the answer was Denver and the Mile High City, so it didn't really matter.

Peder said...

Jodi, I'm not surprised that you knew that. You've got the same geeky geography thing that I've got. I thought of doing state nicknames but I wanted to make this a challenge for you.