Saturday, December 29, 2007

Grocery shopping

At lunch today, I accidentally offered to take Relia grocery shopping on my own today. Basically, I said something about using her to pick up women or something like that. The theory is that women love men with babies (or puppies).
So late in the afternoon, I started to get ready to go. The FP Gal put her in the car seat and we were ready to go. About a mile away from home she started complaining. I waited until I was at a stoplight and reached back to get her pacifier in. It wasn't there.
The complaints soon turned to howling and I pulled over so I could find it and get her soothed down. Climbed into the back seat and did a thorough search. Not there. Great. Should I take her shopping and risk a meltdown?
I turned the car around and drove a few blocks. She quieted down. I pictured the FP Gal looking at me if I failed to do something as simple as take her out shopping. So I turned back around and went to the store. By the time I got there she was complaining again.
Quickly into the store and a cart. I was hoping that if I could make eye contact with her that we'd be ok. And we were. This was a shop for my food so I didn't have to fool around much to get the right stuff. It was fast and we got it done.
Sadly, no women acted like they wanted to pick me up.
Once we were back in the car, the howling started again. She's started to act like the car seat is some kind of torture instrument. She only has to be in some kind of child restraint until she starts college so this might be a problem.
Overall, the mission was a success.

No comments: