Monday, December 03, 2007

Random Monday night thoughts

  • My brother and his family are winging their way toward Germany right now. You can look for them at the Flughafen or here at the Schlossplatz. (Aren't German words fun?)
  • Speaking of international destinations, you can test your geography skills here. Be advised that it gets tough. My best is level eleven which is billed as 'expert'. I can only guess that the next levels are labeled 'autistic', 'insane' or 'home schooled'.
  • And yes, my kids will compete in geography bees if I have anything to say about it. Wish it had been around when I was young, even though I wouldn't have appreciated it. What is it they say? 'Youth is wasted on the young' or something like that.
  • So those Vikes looked kind of OK yesterday. I might have been wrong about Childress and Jackson.
  • I spent some time at work today trying to find a book club to join. Didn't find anything. Well, there are plenty of niche ones, but nothing that I'd want to be a part of. Any suggestions? (Alternate question, how could I start one of my own?)
  • Alternate, alternate question: do I have anything like enough time to join a book club or especially to host one?
  • That's it.

1 comment:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

*Best wishes to Hans, Rachel and the DeForlings on their voyage to the Vaterland! I must agree that German words are entertaining; when I was in high school reading a book on tanks (BIG shock!), I came across a compound word that was about as long as my arm and translated as "six-wheeled command car with radio".

The linguistic implications stagger the intellect.

*Re: The Purple, the real test is, of course, to see how many bandwagon-jumpers appear out of the woodwork and bravely thump their chests and proclaim that they've been there all along for this team. But they still need help on pass defense.

*How to start a book club! Ha-HA! That's EASY! Talk to your local Large Chain Store! They're chock-FULL of "how-tos" on the subject! Trust me on this one...

As for your latter question, well, no. No, you don't. That won't stop you, of course. It never does.