Sunday, September 27, 2009

Amazing Race

The Amazing Race has begun again. It's our favorite show and we could hardly be happier. Spoilers throughout. (A quick note before the recap, my office does a betting pool each season for Survivor. We put in $5 and draw a name out of a hat. If your player wins, you get the big prize. We quickly found out how unfair it is for the first person out and decided to refund the $5 to that person. I had that unhappy honor on Survivor this time. We decided to try an Amazing Race pool this year with the same rules. First person out? Yep, I drew the unhappy couple. What are the odds of that happening?)
On to the recap! They started with a twist this season. There were twelve teams instead of the usual eleven. And one of them would be eliminated before even leaving the start area. The FP Gal and I opposed this even before we found out that it was our couple. The players are banking on having some opportunity to show some skill and win or lose based on that. This losing team didn't really get a chance. There was great disapproval on our couch.
The remaining teams flew from LA to Tokyo. This year they opened with an eating challenge that involved hot wasabi. Then they had to herd a set of local Japanese through the very busy streets. We loved this! The locals were cute and the teams that were kind seemed to do the best.
Tonight was a double episode and the last team to check in was spared elimination so they could compete again with a penalty. This particular team was a pair of ladies who are professional poker players. They decided to lie to the other teams and represent that they worked with underprivileged kids or some such. They were found out and now the others hate them. Lying really doesn't serve people well on this show.
The second leg was in Vietnam and it was probably the muddiest episode ever. The highlight was a contest where one member of each team had to herd ducks from a pen, over a bridge and back again. Again, good stuff.
There is a good mix of people this year. Last season I didn't care for any of the last four or five teams and that sucked some of the fun out of the whole deal. This one seems to have a higher proportion of likable people (including a lady who reminds me us of Pat!). There are still villains and jerks but it seems like a lot of good people overall.

3 comments:

j said...

OMG I was in heaven last night. I'm so glad this show is back. I would've been ok if the poker ladies had been eliminated. That poor couple who didn't even leave LA. and how much fun are the Harlem Globetrotters!!!!??? I hope they make it far, because they're going to be a hoot.

Sarita said...

I'm really glad Erika & Brian weren't eliminated. It has been really interesting, the way he has negotiated their way out of big disadvantages so far. I hope he can continue this.

Pat said...

I have to agree with you on this one, Peder. The Amazing Race is terrific. I have been know to work schedules and events around this show. Hate to miss it. I had to do research to try to figure out which one reminds you of me. It surely could not be the young little chicks. I think it is probably Marcy--the 60 year old that is dating. Am I right???