Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Project Night Night

For the full context of today, please understand that I woke up (bang awake) at 4a this morning. Lay in bed for a half hour and then crept downstairs. Relia woke before 5a and I went up to comfort her then. Per daycare, she took an unbelievable two and a half hour nap this afternoon.

My turn to put her down tonight. We've been shooting for 7p as a bedtime. At least that's when we start the routine. And that's when we started tonight with the regular toothbrushing, etc. When book reading time came she still seemed energetic so I brought a big load of books to read. After a dozen or so I finally came to 'Goodnight Moon', our customary last book before lights out. She was cooperative to the end. Gave me a goodnight hug and kiss and said 'night night'.
I went downstairs. She gave me about two minutes before she started yelling. Another five or so before she started hitting the door. We're back to the cry-it-out method where we let her yell, only going up to calm her at intervals. After the time was up I went up to her.
When I left she was wearing pajama top and bottom, a night time diaper with panties over them. Now it was just the pajama top and she had a new (unused) diaper in her hands. Got her back arranged and dressed. Put her back in bed.
Second time up we had another costume change. This time she had on a different shirt, no pants, still the same diaper. She wanted the mousie shirt (Micky Mouse from yesterday, dirty). It needed washing but standards for nighttime wear is understandably relaxed so out it came and on it went. The pajama pants were not to be found. I asked her where they were and she shyly told me, "in the drawer". Yep, she put them away on her own.
After some brief negotiation she went back in bed. This time she fell asleep. For now. With any luck, she is now wearing the same clothes that she'll wake up in.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

Oh, the trials of parenthood.