Sunday, October 16, 2011

At the MOA

This morning I took Relia to the MOA while the FP Gal stayed home with DF. The one on one dynamic is an unusual thing for us now and in some ways much easier. We had more freedom of movement and fewer demands. Here are some of the things that happened:

We stopped so I could get some coffee. They had a chalk board where people could write about their dreams. I asked her what she dreamed about, fully expecting her to say something about princesses or something. Nope, she simply said 'the sun'. I dutifully wrote that down.

There was an older lady using two of those ski pole thingees as she walked. We met her as we were getting on an elevator.
Relia: Why does she have those sticks?
Me: Uh, it helps her.
Nice lady: Do you like these? They help me walk.
Relia: (pause while she tries to keep the conversation going) My Grandma D is still alive!
Nice lady: Oh . . . !
Me: (shakes head and struggles for words while the door closes)
Relia: I wish we could have talked with her longer.
Me: (still shaking head)

While on the fourth floor we walked past the Mexican place with stuff outside including a plane. Another family walked past us and the kids said, 'Look a helicopter'. Relia corrected them, 'It's an airplane'. The father said to me, 'Your kid is smarter than mine, I guess.' I didn't know what to say about that but it was true.

I pointed out a picture of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' in a shop window. I'm putting a puzzle of it together and have been studying it minutely. She couldn't care less. There are limits to culture even at the mall.

3 comments:

DD4 said...

I'm glad I'm still alive!

Nadine said...

I love your stories

Sarita said...

I just about died laughing at that.