Sunday, October 09, 2011

Bad Songs from Good Bands

Inspired by the comments from this post, I'd like to write about when good bands go bad. These are some of my favorite bands/singers and some of their music that I just can't stand.

  • Tears for Fears, 'Shout' - I don't like the rhythm or the message. And this song just got played into the ground. In the pre-cassette days I'd fast forward through it.
  • Naked Eyes, 'Always Something There (to Remind Me)' - Liked this song just fine when it first came out. Then it got overplayed. Even later it became one of the most popular song on retro '80s radio. Gah.
  • Sting, 'Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot' - This isn't one of his biggies, true. It came from his 'Mercury Falling' album which was mostly very strong. Only two bad songs and Sting went ahead and released one as a single. I'd scratch this one right off of the disk.
  • REM, 'Happy Shiny People' - Maybe a stretch to call them a favorite band but I liked a lot of what they did. But not this one. Later on they did 'Everybody Cries' which is probably even worse. It doesn't bother me as much because by then I didn't respect them anymore.
  • Duran Duran, 'Notorious' - The song itself is blah but it marked a pretty clear line. Everything before this: good. Everything from then on: bad.
I tried to think of an example with U2 but it's hard to do so. They went through such a forgettable era in the '90s that it's hard to pick just one. If pressed, I'd go with 'If God Will Send His Angels' but this is a target rich area. You could pick most anything off of 'Zooropa' or 'Pop' and I wouldn't argue with you.

No comments: