Thursday, October 27, 2011

Candidate's Fav Movies

(Note, this post contains some politics but is meant in a light tone. Please take it as such.)

An interesting post at NRO about what each of the candidates favorite movies are. The list is as follows:

Herman Cain: The Godfather

Michele Bachmann: Braveheart, “or maybe Saving Private Ryan

Newt Gingrich: “Probably” Casablanca

Rick Santorum: Field of Dreams

Ron Paul: “I don’t watch many movies”

Gary Johnson: Dr. Zhivago

Mitt Romney: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Rick Perry: Immortal Beloved

Barack Obama: Casablanca, The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

If someone handed you this list and asked you to match it to the candidates it would be pretty tough to do so. As it probably should be. Both Obama and Gingrich like 'Casablanca' (as do I) but it almost certainly has to do with the witty writing and the love story more than any possible political reference.
It made me think about what I'd answer if I was a candidate (don't worry hon, only hypothetical!). Off the top of my head, some of my favorite movies of the last ten years, 'Amelie', 'Moulin Rouge', 'Lost in Translation' would probably all lose me votes. 'Firefly' would be a wash (no pun intended). 'Inception' would probably be well respected. Maybe.
Choosing classics leaves you on more firm ground. Who didn't like 'Rear Window'? Same goes for 'West Side Story' or 'Star Wars'.

('Field of Dreams' over 'Bull Durham'? Seriously?)

No comments: