Thursday, December 19, 2013

Top Metrodome Moments

The days of the Metrodome are winding down.  IIRC, they're scheduled to deflate it on Jan 18th and then tear it down.  I don't have many memories of the Vikings before they moved inside.  I know that we had them on the TV but I just don't remember them playing outdoors.  The same is true of the Twins, but I'm not sure that they we ever watched any of their games at all.
My first memory of the dome was going to a Twins game as part of a reward for being a patrol at Sumner.  They played the Tigers and they lost in the tenth inning.  I can't tell you with any certainty what year that was but I would guess it was 1985.  I did also go to a Vikings game sometime around then but I barely remember that at all. 
For the past few days, KFAN has been listing the top 25 moments of the dome.  Part one is here.  Part two here and the final five are here.  I was actually in attendance for a couple of them, most notably the 1998 Championship game that utterly broke my heart. 
I'll miss the place, I guess.  It worked fine for football but was awful for baseball.  I'm not a huge fan of using tax money to fund stadiums, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new place. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I still remember watching tv the last day the Vikings played in the met. The fans were taking chairs, pulling down the goal posts. I was very concerned! I have only been to one Vikings game at the dome. I was in the half time show. I have been to countless twins games. The skylne if MSP will look very different.