Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Apollo 13 - 1995

A great movie. Top notch cast. Groundbreaking effects. The space physics are very good (but not quite perfect). And, oh the story! I'm a bit of a space nut so the appeal may have been stronger for me but this one has it all. A true story of man against nature.
This is also the ultimate celebration of geek engineers. The scene of them heroically putting together an air filter out of materials is a classic. As is the shot of them pulling out their sliderulers to verify an equation.
The other thing that stands out for me is that this may be one of the most Romantic (in the objectivist sense of the word) movies of the decade. As Lovell says of the moon landing, it wasn't wishful thinking or clean thoughts that got us there. We just decided to go.
After we finished watching the movie, I turned to the FP Gal and told her I thought the same guy did the music for 'Titanic'. Turns out I was right and James Horner did them both. (And I've since discovered he did the music for 'Braveheart' too. Who knew?)

No comments: