Friday, July 29, 2005

Il Postino - 1995

Never have seen this movie, but long wanted to. If you're in the same boat, my advice is to skip it. The story is slow. The acting is slow. The music is nothing special (even if it did win Best Score). About the only positives I can mention are the scenery (Italian coast) and the cleavage (Maria Grazia Cucinotta). And the movie isn't shy with either.
The story is of a small town man who isn't cut out to be a fisherman. A job opens to be a postman delivering mail to Pablo Neruda, poet in exile. They become friends and eventually Neruda teaches our fine postman how to make 'metaphores' and woo women. And then Neruda leaves, returning to his native Chile. Does he remember his Italian friends? Really who cares? This is mighty thin soup for a full length movie.
One other thing ruined the movie for me. Pablo Neruda is a communist poet (and politician). He is revered and honored throughout this movie. Apparently he was one of the top poets for the deadliest ideology of the 20th century. How lovely! Can you imagine a movie honoring the top artists of the Nazis? You'd want to shower afterward. And I wanted to after this.
I tried to seperate my communist revulsions from judging this movie on it's own merits. Not sure if that's possible or not but I really don't think this was a good movie. Probably the second worst one I've seen in this project.

No comments: