Saturday, August 27, 2005

Fargo - 1996

Let me get the Minnesota complaints out of the way first. This movie would have been well served if a simple state map was used. And the accents are very over the top (and annoying). I've lived in the Cities (almost no one here calls them the Twin Cities) almost ten years and almost never heard the Minneyota dialect from this here film.
Now that that's out of the way, let me talk about the film. The story is interesting. The characters are interesting and well acted. The camera work is very good. Can't remember another movie that captures the Minnesota winter this well. Especially the parts of driving past Minnesota cornfields that are covered with snow. Blankets of eternal and infinite snow. This movie captures that. After watching, I had to remind myself that it's summer out right now. That's how effective it was.
This movie is good, but not great. I can think of at least three other Cohen brother movies that are better, Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski and O Brother, Where Art Thou. Not sure why this movie has the reputation that it does. Can anyone fill me in?

No comments: