Thursday, November 03, 2011

Red Shoes - Kate Bush


This is Relia's current favorite song. At first I thought it was the upbeat timing of it that she really liked but it's also the whistle. She says that she likes the 'aaah-aaaah' part too. Not sure what she means but I won't question it.
This all came about because only last week did I learn that Kate Bush put out a new album earlier this year. I knew that she has one coming out in a few weeks, but this one came as a surprise. It's called 'Director's Cut' and features reworks of several of her songs from 'The Sensual World' and 'The Red Shoes'.
I picked it up on iTunes and I'm digesting it (as we speak!). Any good? Some yes, some ok. The whole album is slower and more atmospheric, save for 'The Red Shoes' which sounds much like the original except for more speaking instead of singing. The only ones that really catch my ear so far are 'Deeper Understanding' which is improved and 'This Woman's Work' which becomes a different song. It sounds much sadder and remorseful. Reminds me of the sad low point of the hero in a thoughtful movie (if that makes sense). Here it is from YouTube if you're curious.
Part of me loves turning Relia on to Kate Bush. Not all of it will work for her, and so much of it can't be even kind of understood until she's older. But still, well, someday she'll thank me.

No comments: