Sunday, May 20, 2012

Eclipse

We were lucky and the clouds left today so we could see part of the eclipse.  The show started late enough that the sun was in the extreme western sky.  We're thick in the city so we could only see that far if we were up high.  The FP Gal brought the kids up to the third floor so they could get a glimpse.  Unfortunately, I had the timing wrong and they had to troop back down again.
DF was in bed before it started but I don't think he really understood anyway.  He had been thrilled to come up and visit the third floor.  The kids rarely get to do so!  But he didn't really understand that something was happening with the sun. 
The FP Gal brought Relia back up again later and we made some pinhole cameras so we could see what was happening.  (She has pictures on her blog.)  It was hard to really tell what was happening from those, they produced a moon shape.  Well, I showed her some pictures online, so she had some idea.

Eclipses go in cycles and this cycle will match up again in 18 years, 11 days and 6 hours.  The six hours is the key here, since that means that the eclipse will happen on the other side of the world.  It will be the middle of the night here. That will be in 2030, the year that young Leo is scheduled to graduate from high school.  Let that sink in for a moment.  The cycle after that will be in 2048, early morning.  I'll be 64. 
Not that there won't be other places to see an eclipse before then.  Even places here in the United States.  I was very tempted to find some way of taking Relia out west to see this one but I could never get the numbers to work.  Tonight, I regret that.  I'm sure I'll get over it though.  And, as I said, there will be other opportunities. 
Still . . .

No comments: