Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Polar Bears

My dear DF is working on his conversational skills.  Often while we are in the car, he'll say to me "can I talk to you, daddy?".  I tell him 'yes', of course.  And then the conversation goes like this:

Me: What should we talk about?
DF: Polar bears.
Me: Ok.  What about them? What do they eat?
DF: Fish!
Me: And what do they drink?
DF: Cocoa!

And we soon run out of things to say about polar bears.  Actually, we ran out a long time ago but he isn't very good about thinking up new topics.  (Btw, I told him that around Christmas time they drink Coca-Cola and he misunderstood that as 'cocoa'.)  The other day I tried to mix things up:

DF: Can I talk to you daddy?
Me: Yes, but we should talk about something different.  Let's talk about . . . cars.
DF: (unsure) Ok.
Me: Do you have a favorite kind of car?
DF: Yes!
Me: What is it?
DF: It's a secret.
Me: A secret?
DF: Yes. (pause) And a surprise!
Me: (laughing) Ok, how about mama, does she have a favorite car?
DF: Yes. (pause) And it's also a secret and a surprise.

Someday he'll tell me and then I'll share it with you folks.

No comments: