Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Remembering Heinlein

My favorite author, Robert Heinlein, died twenty-five years ago today.  In May of 1988 I was just finishing up eighth grade.  One of my friends at school came up to me the day after his death and told me he was sorry about what had happened.  I don't think I'd heard about it yet (the news being what it was in the dark days before the internet).  I was always carrying a book with me at school and I'd been steadily working my way through all of the Heinlein I could buy in Austin.
I read and reread (and reread) all of his books that I could get my hands on.  They were a very important part of my teenage years.  I'll be passing them on to my kids when they're old enough.  The world would be better off with more of his common sense. 
He was instrumental in bringing about the rocket age of the United States.  He was one of the foundational figures in science fiction.  He was loved by both the military folks of the 50's and 60's and was one of the key figures of the new age movement.  Not a lot of people can say that!

RIP, RAH.  You're sorely missed.

No comments: