Thursday, March 09, 2006

Books

These are my some of my favorite books in no particular order:

Time Enough For Love - Robert Heinlein, novel about love and wisdom involving a man who has lived for thousands of years

Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein, novel about the military and why it's important and noble to be a soldier (not to be confused with the dreadful movie of the same name)

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco, medieval mystery set in a monastary

War for the Oaks - Emma Bull, fantasy love story set in the Twin Cities of the 80's

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo, epic story about crime, redemption, love and poverty

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand, opened my eyes to the greatness of man (and, yes, her other works are better written)

The Armada - Garrett Mattingly, wonderfully written history of the Spanish Armada with full background on Europe at the time (if Hollywood is looking for an epic movie, this'd be a good one)

The Long Walk - Stephen King, brutal competition/metaphor as young boys compete for a prize and the losers don't go home

Why Time Begins on Opening Day - Thomas Boswell, collection of baseball articles

There are others that should be mentioned, but most are too new to really count as favorites. 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson was excellent. I've liked most everything I've read of Salman Rushdie with 'Midnight's Children' probably topping the list. 'Kennedy and Nixon' by Chris Matthews is some of the finest political biography I've ever read. 'Witness' by Whitaker Chambers is incredible autobiography from a former communist. And the 'Phantom Tollboth' by Roald Dahl is easily my favorite children's book.

2 comments:

Peder said...

Norton Juster! My bad. Shows what happens when I try to remember things instead of getting up and looking.

Peder said...

No, I hadn't seen those before. Pretty good stuff.