Saturday, March 18, 2006

On Golden Pond - 1981

This is one of my Mom's favorite movies, so I've seen it a dozen times or so but not in the last fifteen years. I hadn't realized that it's based on a play but watching the dialouge and interplay, I can see it. It would stage extremely easily.
It's the story of a couple in their twilight years, Norman and Ethel Thayer (Henry Fonda and Katherine Hepburn). They arrive at their summer cabin to spend another year. Norman is about to turn 80 and he's falling apart. Memory trouble mostly, but also a weak heart. Ethel is unflappable.
The real story begins when their daughter Chelsea (Jane Fonda) shows up with her boyfriend and his 13 year old son. There is enormous tension between Norman and Chelsea leftover from her childhood and time has done nothing to soften it. (No mention is made of her time in Vietnam but you can't help but think that had something to do with it too.)
The 13 year old is left for a month while Chelsea and her boyfriend go off to Europe. This turns out to be just the tonic that Norman needed. He teaches him how to fish and they become very good friends. Their closeness is highlighted by a boat wreck that leaves them clinging to a rock for hours.
Some things struck me from my more adult and married perspective. I hope that when I turn 80 I still have the FP Gal around to stand up for me and excuse my behavior. I hope my relations with my future children are not marked by the kind of hostility seen in this movie. I hope the FP Gal never has the type of relationship with loons that Katherine Hepburn does.
This movie is funny and touching. It's got very good piano music. It's got outstanding acting. It's a great movie.

1 comment:

Sarita said...

Loony, loony, loony!