Monday, April 09, 2007

Random Monday night thoughts

  • I hate it when the Sox are out on the West coast. Baseball games shouldn't start at 9p and they really, really shouldn't end around midnight. One of the joys of baseball is the rythm that you get into watching it every night and the whole time zone thing screws that up.
  • A friend from work loaned me 'Firefly' on DVD and I'm loving it. If you're a sci-fi fan or just a fan of good writing, this is great entertainment. One of the writers has a new series starting on FOX next week called 'Drive'. And yes, I'll give it a look.
  • Article in the Strib about large houses and the neighbors that hate them. Some people have started putting up signs that read 'Monster Houses Make Bad Neighbors'. I'm sure those people would hate my tower. I'd much rather live next to a 'monster house' than a busybody.
  • How do you keep a kitten out of the Macaroni & Cheese? Don't ask us because we haven't figured it out. (Next time he goes out on the porch.)
  • That's it!

6 comments:

MamaD4 said...

That's why Hans will never let us get a kitten. He doesn't like to share his mac n' cheese. I don't understand these people complaining about "monster houses"...hello, the building inspector had to have approved the plans...so it's not like these "monster house" owners are rebels who just build out of control. If the complainers are talking about a particular area where views are getting compromised or historical integrity is lost, a lot of times there are especially strict rules about how people are allowed to build (settle down Hans). Anyway, my opinion is that some houses really ARE too big, but if the plans are approved and you have the money for it (and can withstand the withering glares of your liberal neighbors), build it as big as you damn well want it! Do you have a link to an article?

MamaD4 said...

Does this mean that Hans' dream of having a house shaped like an AT-AT won't happen in St. Paul? What a shame, I've been planning the decorating scheme for years...

MamaD4 said...

Well duh, maybe I should have actually READ the article first. Wow, being able to build or pave 75% of a lot...that is a lot. I'm sitting here in Newport though, where the houses don't really have yards and are very close together and are all different sizes...my quality of life seems intact. We're right next to two small "cottages", then there's a huge Colonial on the corner with an enormous yard. People come from all over the place to see this neighborhood, walk around, take pictures.

Peder said...

I'd say the standard in an authentic historic neighborhood (like yours) should be much more strict than in an ordinary place. I also think it's reasonable to mandate a certain space between houses. It's that whole anti-Mcmansion thing that I don't get. If it's not your taste, that's fine, but butt out of other people's decisions.

MamaD4 said...

Anti-McMansionism is kind of similar to those people who get fired up by people who choose to drive Hummers...we can't get excited over people who don't live according to the lifestyle WE deem is correct. You make your choices, I'll make mine.

Brian said...

Our house and paved area cover 75% of the lot.. but we dont have the biggest house in the area. We have lived here 3 years and have never mowed!

We win the worst neighbor award!