Saturday, February 28, 2009

Amelie - 2001

Tonight, after we put Relia down to sleep we settled in on the couch and watched a movie. Instead of something new (and risky) we went with an old favorite, 'Amelie'. I've mentioned it here on the blog a couple of times but I don't think I've ever really reviewed it. So here goes...
Amelie is a waitress in the Paris neighborhood of Montmarte. Her parents were distant and she has great difficulty allowing anyone close to her. Her life has been taken over by quirks and stratagems. By chance she uncovers a long lost cache of childhood memories. She decides to return them to the long lost owner and see if she has an effect on his life. If it works out, she will become a hidden do-gooder.
This sets up a plot where this very clever (and adorable) young woman goes to further and more distant ends to help others. Add in a mysterious man who just might be quirkier enough to make a match with her. Do they share an affinity? And can she overcome her own barriers long enough to find out?
This is an incredibly charming film. It works on many levels as the audience is never sure where the action is going and the ride itself is always rewarding. The music is also special. It's a whimsical mix of accordion and magic. If I was making a list of the best movies of the 00's (and I'm sure I will at some point) this would certainly be on it. A true gem.

3 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I almost watched that last night, too. My parents bought a copy, but my sister claims she can't stand it...I don't know what turned her off about it, I think it's just the movie to watch when you need some cheering up!

Sarita said...

I told FP, the trouble is, it makes we want to be single again (and living in an adorable apartment in Paris).

Peder said...

I maybe should have mentioned in the review that there is some toplessness and some other sexual content. None of it is overwhelming though.