Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Romance languages (again)

Ok, so tallying up the comments from yesterday...
  • Here's an online Hittite course. Hans, I think you should test-drive it for me. Also here is a YouTube clip I love that it's a response video to 'The Amorites Part1: From Hejaz to the Levant 2500BC-1200BC'. Isn't the internet fun?
  • Tagalog? Hmmm, not tempting. Sorry. And now I'm thinking maybe I should run a poll on which language is sexier... FP Gal? Can you set that up for me?
  • I've thought of Latin and I even have some of the materials, but I need a little bit of structure and I haven't found any good courses. True story, I signed up for Latin in high school and they never had enough people to justify the class. Kate, you must have gotten it right at the end.
  • For those wondering about the Italian word for spoon, it looks like 'cucchiaio'. Isn't that fun?
  • Carrie, I want to hear if your Swedish studies help you with the Swedish chef.
  • After watching tonight's episode of 'Lost', I'm wondering if I should study Cryptic instead.
So that's one vote for French and one for Italian. Anyone else have some thoughts?

5 comments:

Hans said...

I'm changing my vote to Navajo.

Chris said...

Why bother? Doesn't everyone speak American these days?

I'd choose French over Italian on the grounds that it is somewhat more widely spoken.

Kate said...

I still vote for french. You and Scooter can have private conversations where she tells you secrets she doesn't tell her mother.

Meigan - I'm all about family dischord. hahaha!

carrster said...

No, my Swedish studies have not yet gotten to whatever dialect "the Chef" speaks. I'll let you know when it does.

Still voting for Italian.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

If you absolutely *must* choose one of the "Romance" languages, take Frogspeak. Otherwise, take Latin, because no-one will be able to understand you, although they'll be able to catch enough cognates to think they will...or just follow standard British procedure (a la Chris) and shout at the wogs-begin-at-Calais in loud, clear English.