Thursday, November 12, 2009

Random Thursday Thoughts: Kids Movies Edition

And yes, this list is proof that I'm a bad parent.
  • When you watch 'Little Mermaid' and 'Finding Nemo' in close order, it's really amazing how far animation came in so short of a time. 'Mermaid's' music still holds up well though.
  • Does any movie in the history of cinema have a higher percentage of sidekicks than 'Aladdin'? Each of the top four characters have their own cute companion (monkey, tiger, parrot and flying carpet). If the Sultan had a talking cat they could have maxed themselves out.
  • 'Monsters Inc' is known in our house as the 'salad movie'. We think that Sully = salad or something like that. 'Fish movie' makes so much more sense.
  • Overall, the Pixar movies are more popular with Relia than the Disney ones. She watches the Miyazaki movies, just stares at them entranced, but I don't know if she really enjoys them as much.
  • Disney had a well known policy of pulling their movies from sale and only releasing them for limited periods. This never bugged me before but now that I'm a parent it irks me. They have the right of course, I just wish I could buy the Toy Story movies more easily.
  • That's it!

7 comments:

Hans said...

Pixar is more popular in our house, too, though there are a couple of other favorites. Meet the Robinsons - Disney is a big hit (I like it, too). Kung Fu Panda is a huge hit. I think this movie is fantastic. It might be my favorite from last year - seriously.

We've dabbled in some of the older Disney films, like Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, and Pinoccio, but they haven't been as well received.

Peder said...

We liked Kung Fu Panda too. We should probably pick it up. And Meet the Robinsons has been sitting in it's netflix sleeve unwatched for the last couple of weeks. We should change that too...

DD4 said...

I have "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" if you want to borrow them.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Hans, that's a shame about the older Disney movies, because they show the true genius of the art form when it was just beginning. Today's children are honestly a little spoiled by the technological ability to create the wonders Pixar can create, and I think they (and we) take it for granted.

N.B. that this isn't a *knock* against Pixar by any means, but there should be a place for classic hand-drawn and painted animation, IMHO.

Peder said...

Andrew, I'm curious what you'd think (or what you already think) about some of Miyzaki's work. It features the hand-drawn work that you mention.

MamaD4 said...

Imagine what animation will be like by the time our grandkids come around...

I'll take Cars over Sleeping Beauty any day. Hans has ruined me for anything but the latest of technologies. I'd still be watching VHS on my black and white TV if not for him.

We watched Meet the Robinsons last night...

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Peder, I *used* to absolutely despise anime, because...um...let's say that some folks I knew in college watched the wrong kind, and the old shampoo commercial about first impressions rang true for a long, long time.

My friend Eric almost literally sat on me to get me to watch Porco Rosso, and after that, I went to see Howl's Moving Castle with him (and several other friends and their kids). While I doubt I'l ever enjoy the look of Japanese animation, the artistry was wonderful.