Thursday, January 27, 2005

80's music

I was reading through the Sports Guy today when something came together in my mind. This is a letterbag column where he answers emails from readers and one of them had to do with the defining song of the 80's (about half way down, next to the Miami Vice picture). He lists five rules he'd use to make this judgement and comes up with this list:

1. "The Promise," by When In Rome
2. "Suedehead," by Morrissey
3. "Uncertain Smile" by The The
4. "A Forest" by The Cure
5. "The Killing Moon," by Echo and the Bunnymen
6. "Age of Consent," by New Order

I'm curious what just missed the cut.
A couple of weeks ago, the FP Gal was watching a forgetable movie about a high school reunion class of '86 or so. At the reunion they had an '80's cover band and I couldn't help thinking how much fun that would be. I spent the next week putting songs I'd love to cover together in my head. Here's a list of what I came up with:

"I Will Follow" by U2
"Under the Milky Way" by the Church
"Message in a Bottle" by the Police
"Alive and Kicking" by Simple Minds
"Stay on These Roads" by A-Ha
"Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS
"Just Like Heaven" by the Cure
"Tall Ships Go" by Big Country
"Someday, Someway" by Marshall Crenshaw
"Girls on Film" by Duran Duran

How much fun would that be? If anyone wants to put the band together, I've got the pipes. Any takers? And what am I missing? What would you love to go out and hear a band play?

1 comment:

carrster said...

Sounds fun! Can I sing MANIC MONDAY by the Bangles? (my current top karaoke pick). Hmmm....two singers...we're not going to be much of a 'band.'