Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Ghost -1990

What do you get when you take the director of 'Airplane', the stars of 'Roadhouse', 'Jumpin Jack Flash' and 'One Crazy Summer' and one old tune? Create a best picture nominee of course. I was surprised at how much I liked this movie. I remember it as a light movie and it really is a pretty good story, well told.
Thoughts:
Demi Moore was really, really cute with her hair short. You just want to wrap your arms around her and protect her. Shame that she got, um, altered.
Patrick Swayze always looks smaller than he should. And somehow plastic wrapped. Am I alone in this?
'Unchained Melody' works. Trust me on this. The only more reliable karoke song is 'Walk Away Renee'.
How do you find an apartment like that? I mean honestly. It's huge! I know they try to explain this in the opening scene when they open up the ceiling and knock down some walls, but my God! What sort of living situation are they in?
FP Gal's favorite part was when Whoopi thinks she's just received $4 mil. only to be ordered to give it some nuns. It's a good twist, I suppose. The interesting part for me is that Patrick tells her that this'll get her to heaven. This probably doesn't advance the whole deeds vs faith debate very much, but it caught my ear.
The special effects look very cheesy from 15 years away, but they worked at the time. Especially the shadows taking souls to hell. The exit to heaven at the end is an interesting vision as well. It appears celestial. And that's got to be what they were shooting for.
I'm a sucker for love stories and this worked for me. I enjoyed this move more than I thought I would. It beat the spread and that's high praise from me.

No comments: