Thursday, January 06, 2005

Happy Crash Day

I really should have written this yesterday, but I wasn't really sure what to write. Two years ago, Jan 5 2003, was kind of a big day for me and my family. There had been a big ice storm the day before. My brother, sister-in-law and I were supposed to drive down to my Dad's to finally celebrate Christmas. My brother had just gotten married six weeks earlier and the honeymoon had kind shifted when we celebrated the holidays.
I was driving. The roads seemed fine. We didn't have any trouble with ice. None to speak of. Until we hit a patch that had been shaded by some trees.
Well, long story short, my brother wrenched his shoulder, my sister-in-law broke her upper arm and I broke my face. Two weeks in the hospital and 10 plus hours of surgery to reshape my skull followed. I'll always have these plates in my skull and 1/5/03 was the last day I could see out of my left eye. As I said a big day.
The first year after had it's moments. The first time driving again was interesting. So was the soft food diet while my teeth reset. And waiting for the swelling in my face to drop was incredibly disheartening.
But the first year passed and with it a large part of the feeling of the accident being constantly around my shoulders. This past year has been even better. For that I credit the FP Gal. She makes me feel wonderful and appreciated. She even thinks I'm beautiful (I know she's delusional, but should I argue with her?)
So the second year has passed and the entire thing seems very distant. But I can't just dismiss it. It was still an important day. One of the landmarks of my life I'm sure. But the important thing is that I'm here for this day. And I'll be here for the next. There's some kind of lesson there.
Remember to drive safely. And ice should stay in freezers or in drinks.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

Peder,

Tonight (6/3/06) I decided to read some of your earlier entries. I cannot let this one go by without making this comment - - Peder, when I got that phone call from the emergency room nurse in Owatonna on that fateful day, I thought I may not ever see you three alive again. But as we all know, after time, all of you have healed and are now doing very well. I thank God daily for answering my prayers.
Love always, Mom