Sunday, February 27, 2005

Oscar night

Yes, of course I'll be watching. Movies are the dominant art of our age and the judgement and analyisis of them are worth watching. The run-up, however bores me to tears. I can't stand the celebrity culture aspect. Being able to act is a fine and worthy form of work. The acting profession is good both for the oppurtunities it gives to people who want to act and also as it enables the art forms of stage and screen. But...being able to act doesn't make someone a god or even a better person. And that goes double for any actor or actress whose work rests on their good looks.
Having said that, I always look forward to this show. For the comedy of the host, the movie montages, the goodbyes to passing actors and of course the agruments over what won and lost. My wishes tonight are for Chris Rock to surpass my meager hopes, for at least one of the songs to be listenable, for the political commentary to be brief and for some recognition of 'Eternal Sunshine'.

No comments: