Thursday, February 10, 2005

Oscars

This article in yesterday's Strib is right in step with the movie project that I've started. By viewing these movies in a tight time period, I'm hoping to be able to make judgements tempred by the passing of years. The Academy, of course, doesn't have this luxury. Only the 90's are covered of course on my little blog. I thought I'd comment on the relevant mentions from this article. My thoughts may change after I've seen these movies again.

In 1999, academy members named Roberto Benigni best actor for his arm-waving theatrics in his concentration-camp comedy "Life Is Beautiful," spurning Ian McKellen's soulful, sensitive performance as a faded film director in "Gods and Monsters." This sells Benigni short. Comedy is harder than drama, and comedy in the face of tragedy is quite a feat. Who can forget the effort of a father shielding his son from the horrors of a concentration camp. I remember seeing 'Gods and Monsters' but have no special memory of Ian McKellen. I'm sure it was wonderful, but Benigni was unique.
Is the perfectly pleasant "Shakespeare in Love" really holding up better than 1998's snubbed "Saving Private Ryan"? My brother thinks that this particular Oscar was a travesty. I understand where he's coming from but think that the problem is with the Oscar setup. How do you compare a drama vs a comedy for which one is absolutely the best? I'll talk more about this in October or so.
Why did "The English Patient" ace "Fargo" in 1996? Because it was a better movie.
In what Bizarro universe will 1994's winner, "Forrest Gump," be studied in film history classes while the also-ran "Pulp Fiction" dwindles to a mere footnote? Both of these are great movies. 'Pulp Fiction' will be studied in it's own right, but 'Forrest Gump' is still quite worthy. And 'Shawshank Redemption' is certainly in the running as better than either of them.

My pick for least deserving Oscar of the '90s (major award category) is probably Kim Bassinger for 'LA Confidential'. I don't know what she did behind the scenes for that award, but I'm sure it isn't suitable for a family blog.

2 comments:

carrster said...

I do know of someone who loves it (LAH) actually...I liked it but thought it was not even in the same league as SPR (sorry using intials because I'm tired...yet I can type all that out...hmmmm). Oscar LOVES drama. Especially if it's based on someone's life. I'm betting Jamie Foxx gets this years (even though the only performance I've seen was Don Cheadle's). I'm rambling now....good night.

Peder said...

homer111, you're projecting your feelings about the movies. Some people do love SIL. I personally thought it had an incredible musical score and was the cleverest comedy in many years. I'd bet large amounts of money that I can find it at Best Buy at least as easily as SPR and no doubt neither of them are flying off the shelves at Blockbuster.
No disresepct for SPR, but you're selling SIL short.