Monday, February 28, 2005

Best Picture thoughts

I just got done reading this post from Catallarchy regarding Oscar picks. I was struck by the discussion on the 90's vs the 00's.

This all brings me to this: are we in a drought, or is just impossible to measure up to the movie-making of the 90’s? Take a look at the nominations in the last 5 years, and then look at the 90’s, and tell me there is not a big difference...I mean, tell me there is a single film in the last five years (outside of LotR) that is better than say, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, or Forrest Gunp. There isn’t one.

This of course is right up my alley since my project deals with this exact issue. So I looked at the list of Best Picture nominees and found this:
Chocolat, Erin Brockovich, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Traffic and Gladiator. Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, Moulin Rouge, Fellowship of the Rings and Beautiful Mind. Chicago, Gangs of New York, the Hours, Two Towers and the Pianist. Lost in Translation, Seabiscuit, Mystic River, Master and Commander and Return of the King.

Looking at the list like that I'm a bit underwhelmed. LOTR movies are clearly great. So was Traffic. And I enjoyed Moulin Rouge and Lost in Translation but I don't think that either of them were 'great' movies. (BTW, I've only seen 14 of the 20 listed. Maybe I'll tackle the whole list in 2015.) Lots of good movies aren't nominated of course, but I think this is an interesting first look.


1 comment:

jonathan even-zohar said...

I agree with you that the discussion that the 00's havent produced any good movies is a non-discussion. Movies will keep being made forever, but are inspired by the contemporary situation. People should not make their own opinion, even if shaed with others, holy. Stuff changed. Culture is dynamic. Live happy.