Sunday, August 20, 2006

1985 in review

The Color Purple
Witness
Prizzi's Honor
Out of Africa
Kiss of the Spider Woman

(It took too long for me to get this roundup together. I guess these are the dog days of the movie project. I still feel bad that I couldn't get to all five movies.)
This is a real mix of movies. 'Witness' is a straight crime movie. 'Prizzi' is a twisted plot driven movie. 'Purple' is a story about abuse and retribution while 'Africa' is an epic of freedom and security on the frontier. Good movies but the only one I thought was great was 'Witness'. 'Africa' won the Best Picture and I think that's reasonable. If you showed this set of movies to 100 people I doubt any movie would top 30% as a favorite.
My favorite music from this set is the barn-raising piece from 'Witness'. The overall score of 'Africa' was wonderful.

No comments: