Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Day at the Races


So we had an interesting day. For quite some time I've wanted to go out to Canturbury Downs with the FP Gal and play the ponies. She's been very good at picking Derby winners so...why not? So we planned on going out there today. My Mom lives nearby so we decided to have lunch with her beforehand.
Out we went to Bloomington. Met her at her place and off to Culver's for eats. As we were driving she mentioned that the restaurant was right across the street from Canturbury. I told her we were headed there after lunch. Turns out that she'd long wanted to go there too. So off we went.
Arrived a little too late for the first race but no problem, they race every half hour or so. We sat down and puzzled out our programs. Each of us had a different kind of system for picking horses. The FP Gal looks at the names and waits for one to jump out. I looked for combinations of numbers and colors (failing which I bet the longest shot). Mom was the most scientific, trying to puzzle out all of the different stats they gave out. We sheepishly approached the betting window and were guided through the process. After that we found a nice spot outside in the shade and waited for our first race.
I won't give the blow by blow. I will say that we had a good time. We each won with some horses and ended the day down a small amount. For the three of us it was much cheaper than a movie would have been. Would we do it again? Absolutely.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

I had a blast! Thanks again, Peder and Sarah!