Sunday, August 13, 2006

Out of Africa - 1985

"I had a farm once, in Africa." Thus opens this sweeping epic of a movie. It's based on the writings of a Danish Baroness (Meryl Streep). She has quick marriage of convenience that takes her to Africa where she runs a coffee plantation. While there she takes an interest in educating a tribe that lives on her property. This ruffles some feathers amongst the English that make up her neighbors.
She also makes an acquaintance with a pair of ivory traders, one of whom is played by Robert Reford. They discover that she has a great talent for storytelling. This launches a friendship that gradually becomes a love affair. This becomes an odd situation as her legal husband has taken to living in town to persue an open bachelorhood. The relationship is doomed as his need for independence clashes with her need for security.
I've never been a big Streep fan. I've thought of her as a fine actress but haven't seen anything special from her. This movie changed my mind as she turns in a great performance (Oscar nominated). I found myself thinking about 'The English Patient' while watching this. The similarities are striking. This is a very good movie.

3 comments:

DD4 said...

This is another of my "favorite" movies!

MamaD4 said...

Did you like The English Patient? Most men I know didn't quite see the point of it, so I'll be surprised if you say yes. I've always liked Out of Africa as well--it has a fantastic sountrack. I have both TEP and OOA soundtracks on my iPod. Just saying. Good movies, great music.

Peder said...

I thought the English Patient was great. I reviewed it last August if you want more detail. And I loved the OOA music too.