Monday, August 28, 2006

Greatest American Novel project

A couple months back I mentioned a poll regarding the greatest American novel. Since then I've read a few of them and am planning on tackling the rest over the next few years. Here's the list:
  • Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
  • Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin
  • James, Portrait of a Lady
  • Cather, My Antonia
  • Wharton, The Age of Innocence
  • Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
  • Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
  • Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
  • Warren, All the King's Men
  • Bellow, The Adventures of Augie March
  • Ellison, Invisible Man
  • Chandler, The Long Goodbye
  • Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
  • Updike, Rabbit, Run
  • Barth, The Sot-Weed Factor
  • Heller, Catch-22
  • Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Nabokov, Pale Fire
  • Roth, The Great American Novel
  • Melville, Moby-Dick
  • Twain, Huckleberry Finn

And I want to add a couple of others.
  • Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath
  • Mailer, Of a Fire on the Moon
Which makes 23. Any other suggestions? And is anyone else interested in joining in? I can give a few weeks heads up about which book is next if you'd like. What think?

2 comments:

carrster said...

GRAPES OF WRATH is my all time favorite novel...I'd love to particpate with you - as my reading schedule dictates (I'm so strict!) so keep me posted. :-)

carrster said...

I forgot to add that I WILL NOT be reading any more Hawthorne though - snoozeville....(IMHO)