Saturday, June 16, 2007

Book blogging

This is going around (I saw it here) so I thought I'd jump in too. Ten book questions:
1. One book that changed your life. Probably 'Atlas Shrugged. At an impressionable age, I was shown that ability drives the world. I was taught to distrust any attempt to cheat value and that reality persists despite the efforts of anyone.
2. One book that you've read more than once. Another big one in my life, 'Time Enough for Love'. A book about a cynical rascal who has lived for thousands of years and is forced to share the things he's learned. It taught me alot about people and their good and bad points. Showed me that you have to expect something less than perfection in human activities. Another one that's big on ability.
3. One book you'd want on a desert island. Lots of candidates here but I'd probably go with 'Les Miserables'. Long enough to take some time to read with many wonderful passages to meditate on. The first hundred pages or so is a beautiful picture of Christian devotion.
4. One book that made you laugh. Just about any of Dave Barry's collections. Especially the one with the whale disposal.
5. One book that made you cry. 'Where the Red Fern Grows'. And you've got a heart of stone if it didn't make you cry too.
6. One book you wish had been written. Tough question. Probably something on Drake's life written by Garrett Mattingly. Maybe something written by Shakespeare's contemporary biographer.
7. One book you wish had never been written. 'Das Kapital'? Seriously, what book has caused more trouble than that one.
8. One book you're currently reading. 'Quicksilver' by Neal Stephenson. Just the parts with Jack Shaftoe. One of my favorite literary characters ever.
9. One book you've been meaning to read. 'Moby Dick'. I've got it and just need to get around to reading the darn thing.
10. Six people to tag. Ah, let's see. My lovely wife. Rachel. Carrie. Jodi. Mom. And my Aunt Liz. Have at it ladies!

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

I'm working on it...