Friday, June 01, 2007

Fourth baby class

We had our fourth class last night (only one more to go and then we're allowed to have a baby). Last night we focused on Cesarean birth. As I mentioned last week, I don't do well with surgery or cutting so this wasn't an easy class to sit through. Did you know that they have the dad accompany the mom into surgery? And that they don't put her out for it? Didn't know I was signing up for that! The FP Gal has given me until the actual birth to get over my fears about this. (Deep breath. Focus.) The common joke is that in many years they have yet to lose a single father. I'd hate to ruin that streak.
Our teacher is so funny and wise in many ways. She's had three of her own, the most recent just a few months ago. This lets her give us advice that she wished she had known. She suggested that mom go to bed very early or sleep very late so that she can still get seven or eight hours even with breaks for baby. Makes sense to me.
Also talked about post partum care. Apparently some moms can experience fatigue and mood swings. The suggestion for dads is to pamper them a bit. Very convenient advice coming from a mother, right? Still I'll have to go along with it or I'll be in trouble with all of my coworkers.
The rest of the night was exercises. We did one where we selected options from cards to represent our ideal birth (one hour of pushing vs 3 hours pushing, own doctor vs random doctor off the street). After we had the ideal birth in front of us, we started flipping cards to show a less than ideal one. At the end we had all of least desirable choices, but still had a healthy baby. We decided that we'd be fine with that!

1 comment:

DD4 said...

I'm praying that all will go well and you will not need to worry about the uncomfortable scenarios.